I’m running my first marathon TOMORROW!
Unless this is your first time visiting (if so, welcome!) you already know about my marathon and are probably bored of hearing about it!
I’ve been preparing for this marathon all year. It was one of only two goals I had for the year, so it’s a pretty big deal to me. Luckily, I’ve already hit my other goal for the year so now I’m 100% focused on this one!
As it’s my first marathon, everyone says my only goal should be to finish the race. Though that is goal #1, I have a few other marathon goals too! And I want to share them on here because blogging about things has become a good way for me to hold myself accountable.
Though I’m trying not to have any expectations about finishing time, I do have some generic pace goals in mind.
– Start out slowly – I’m a little bit competitive (if you know me in real life then this isn’t a surprise!) so have a tendency of taking off too fast. In shorter distance races, this habit is painful enough. I can’t imagine how I’ll feel towards the end of the marathon if I make this mistake. Apart from finishing the distance, running the first 6ish miles easy is my main goal. For me, easy should be around 9:30 min/mile.
– Finish strong – My other pace goal is to finish the last 6 miles as strong as possible. I have no idea how I’ll be feeling during the last portion of the race. But no matter how much pain I am in, my goal is to keep pushing as hard as I can.
I don’t have any pace goals for the middle miles. Ideally I’ll fall into a comfortable pace around 9 min/mile, but we’ll see how it goes! The weather forecast now says there’s going to be 25 to 35 mph winds on Sunday so that could slow me down a little.
Besides pace goals, I’m have a few other goals for race day.
– Be nice to Mum – hehe! Mum and I are running the race together and sometimes tired Michelle gets annoyed at Mum’s encouragement. Going to do my best to be nice!
– Think positive thoughts – This goes along with the goal above. There is such a mental aspect to running, and I know my mindset can make or break my race. I aim to stay positive throughout the race.
– Enjoy it – I only get one first marathon!
These five marathon goals are things I can control. I’m going to focus on them and not worry about things like the weather or how crowded it might be during the first few miles. I hope this plan gets me to the finish line with a smile on my face!
Are you a marathon runner? Any advice for a first timer?
What marathon goals do you have?